What are Service Hours?
Service Hours are a way to keep all of our parents involved in the school and community at SFA. Each family, as a part of their annual contract with SFA, agrees to complete 30 service hours per year. (15 hours for single parents – the SFA Principal must approve this when you submit your contract).
Service hours begin recording on April 16 of the beginning of a school year through April 15 of the following year (end of the school year). If you complete more than 30 hours in a year, the hours do not rollover to the next year.
How can I earn Service Hours?
You can earn service hours in a variety of ways. You must provide 15 hours directly to the school. SFA parish service may be 15 hours.
Examples of ways to obtain service hours through the school are volunteering for:
- Taste of Kindergarten – November
- Help in the classroom
- Drive for fieldtrips
- Work at and/or provide items for class parties
- Annual school auction – projects in each grade, committees, donations, etc.
- Stuffing the Wednesday envelopes each week
- 7th and 8th grade dances and projects
- Driving to electives for the middle school grades
- Golf Tournament
- Dads’ Club
- Halloween festival
- Hot Lunch – pass out lunches Tuesday through Friday
- Motor Perception – additional PE program for K, 1, and 2
- Wheel-a-Thon – October
- PACE Board positions
- School Board positions
- Yahoo representative
- Room mom
If you donate items to the school or the Aftercare program, you must provide a receipt and obtain a signature for the donated items. For each $20 donation, your family will receive one service hour.
SFA Parish service (15-hour maximum) includes volunteering for:
- International Festival
- CYO Sports – coaching and refereeing – cross country, basketball, track
- Other activities approved by the SFA School Principal
How do I get credit for Service Hours?
You can receive credit for your service hours by submitting your hours to the person who chaired the event you worked. The chairperson of the event, or the teacher you did work for, will approve the hours and forward them to our Volunteer Hours coordinator, Jennie Byrne.
What are the consequences of not meeting the Service Hours?
If your family does not complete the annual contracted hours, SFA will bill you at a rate of $25 per hour not met. You may submit payment through cash, check, or credit card. Moreover, we will not release your contract for the incoming year until you settle your outstanding obligations for the current school year.